Saturday, August 22, 2009

Ashlyn's "Back To School Fling"

Ready or not (and I'm not), Kindergarten is here! In two days Ashlyn will officially be our big Kindergartner! She has been ready to start Kindergarten all summer and she is so excited. Up until a week or two ago I haven't been bothered about Ashlyn starting Kindergarten. But suddenly as the time approaches, I am quite anxious and less emotionally prepared for this next step than I thought I was.

Yesterday we went to Ashlyn's new school for the "Back to School Fling". We met her teacher, toured the entire school, bought a school t-shirt and water bottle, signed up for the PTA, saw her classroom, cubby hole, and LOCKER! I can't believe she has a locker! Her teacher, Miss Ellis, actually attends our church and I know her somewhat from volunteering with Special Angels. She was the Sunday School teacher last year for the twins I work with. I'm very excited that Ashlyn has her as a teacher.

She was bubbling with excitement all day leading up to and during the school fling.We saw several families that we know that have older kids at the school and they each had such positive opinions of the school. As soon as we walked into the school, to the gym and were handed her Kindergarten packet of information with her teacher's name on it, I had to fight back the tears. I fought back the tears again when we saw another Kindergarten teacher that attends our church and volunteers in the children's choir at church. Ashlyn ran up to her and gave her a hug and that brought tears of relief to me and gave me a sense that it will be a great Kindergarten year for Ashlyn. Then again I was fighting the tears as we walked through a maze of halls and rooms to finally get to Ashlyn's classroom and saw the small tables, computers and learning tools that she will use this first 'official' year of school. As I took in everything around me in the room I wasn't sure if I was going to keep the tears from rolling down my face. Then I looked over at Chris, and his eyes were a bit red and teary as well.

While we are both truly excited for Ashlyn to start Kindergarten this is bitter sweet. It is hard to realize that our 'little' girl is entering Kindergarten, that she is excited to go to 'big' school, and that she feels more ready for it than we are! She isn't the least bit scared or unsure about going to Kindergarten all by herself. I am so grateful and it gives me a peace of mind to know she is confident and feels ready for this great big change called Kindergarten!

On a side note, Avery went with us to see Ashlyn's school. She acted just as excited and interested as Ashlyn. That's probably because she was at Ashlyn's side which Avery always finds very comforting. She loves her big sister!

0 comments: