Ashlyn just informed me that she has 3 boyfriends. The conversation started with her saying, "Keifer loves me! Well actually, I have 3 boyfriends." I was silent and she continued with, "I had 4 but one moved to another school, so now I have 3 to go." I asked her what the "to go" phrase meant but didn't really get an answer so I then asked about the 'boy' that went to another school. She said "You know Jack. He was in Kindergarten last year so went to a new school this year." Well, no, I don't know Jack although she talked about him a frequently last year. So, last year Ashlyn was in the 3 year old class (she was 3, turned 4 half way through the school year) and she had a Kindergartner as a boyfriend. So at this point in the conversation I can feel my stomach in my throat. I asked her what does 'boyfriend' mean, but she skirted the question and continued to tell me the names of the boys... Keifer, Ryan and Ronan. Ronan is another boy she often mentioned last year, that she played with on the playground and also referred to as her boyfriend last year. Even her teacher last year commented on the friendship and said Ashlyn has good taste (jokingly), that he is a very cute boy from a nice family that she knows well.
Back to the car conversation... after Ashlyn told me the boys' names she then said, and I'm not making one word of this up: "This may sound awkward, but now I need to decide which one (she hesitated and then whispered) I'm going to marry." And she said it with a big smile on her face. By this time we are pulling in to the school car-pool line. I quickly asked her at what age does she think a person is old enough to start thinking about getting married? Well, the conversation was cut short and I got no answer as she jumped out of the car to greet her friends.
I wondered to myself, do I have a 5 year old or 15 year old? I realized how much she learns just from observation of people she views as being important. Our actions, values, priorities already make a big impression on her.
Friday, May 15, 2009
Ashlyn has 'boyfriends'?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment